If you’ve ever found yourself asking “What is a work order management system?”, then we’ve got the rundown for you. Read on for the definition, 10 core features of such a system, and the benefits of using work order management software to scale your building operations.
What is a work order management system?
A work order management system is a digital or electronic tool designed to organize, manage, and track work orders, typically in field service operations, maintenance tasks, or any scenario where work needs to be instructed and reported upon. These systems help ensure that work is prioritized, allocated, and completed efficiently.
Some core features and functions of a work order management system include:
- Work order creation: Allows users to create and document specific tasks or jobs. This often includes details about the task, required materials, assigned personnel, expected completion date, and more.
- Assignment and scheduling: Assigns tasks to specific workers, teams, or assets based on their availability, skills, or location.
- Tracking and monitoring: Monitors the status of each work order in real time, ensuring that tasks are on track to be completed as scheduled.
- Notification system: Notifies the relevant team members when a new work order is assigned, when changes are made, or when a task is completed.
- Reporting and analytics: Generates reports on work order trends, completion times, personnel performance, and other metrics to provide insights and facilitate decision-making.
- Integration: Some work order management systems can integrate with other business systems, such as inventory management or billing, to streamline the operations further.
- Mobile access: Modern work order management software often comes with mobile apps or web interfaces tailored for smartphones, allowing field workers to access and update work order details on the go.
- Documentation and history: Maintains records of all work orders, completed or in-progress, so that organizations have a historical reference of tasks, maintenance cycles, and more.
- Priority setting: Helps to set the priority of tasks, ensuring that urgent or critical jobs are addressed first.
- Resource management: Allocates and tracks the resources (like tools, parts, or equipment) required for each work order.
Benefits of using work order management software
There are several benefits of using work order management software. Those benefits include:
- Improved efficiency and productivity: A work order management system streamlines the process of creating, assigning, and tracking work orders. By having a centralized system, operations can be executed seamlessly, reducing manual tasks, paperwork, and potential bottlenecks. This leads to quicker job completions and allows for more tasks to be managed simultaneously.
- Enhanced communication and collaboration: Communication is the bedrock of successful building operations. A work order management system provides a platform where all team members – from engineers to property managers – can access the same information in real time, leading to clearer communication, fewer misunderstandings, and improved collaboration.
- Reduced errors and rework: By digitally logging work orders and tracking their progress, work order management software minimizes the chances of tasks being overlooked or duplicated. It ensures that everyone involved understands their roles and responsibilities, leading to a decrease in mistakes that can cost both time and money.
- Better resource utilization and reduced downtime: A work order management system provides insights into the resources required for each task – whether it’s personnel, equipment, or materials. This facilitates better planning and allocation, ensuring resources aren’t wasted or sitting idle. Over time, this can lead to significant cost savings.
- Boosted tenant satisfaction: Faster response times, efficient job completions, and fewer errors naturally result in happier tenants. A work order management system ensures work orders are addressed in a timely manner and tenants are kept in the loop, leading to improved trust and loyalty.
- Comprehensive reporting and data-driven decisions: The analytics capabilities of work order management software within a building operations platform enable property teams to gather critical insights about operations. This can range from identifying common issues to analyzing team performance. Such data is invaluable for making informed decisions and continuous operational improvements.
Transform your building operations
Integrating a work order management system can fundamentally transform the operational capabilities of an organization, ensuring that both the business and tenants reap the rewards. Whether you’re a property team at one building or across a portfolio of buildings, a work order management system can provide a clear roadmap to operational excellence.
Learn how Stream Realty Partners, a recognized leader in the property management industry, seamlessly handles 190 work orders per month thanks to work order management software.